Just received your new wireless card? Perfect time to get setup! Check out our Support Article for the latest info. Still need help or have a question? Contact Us or open a chat (bottom right of screen) and we'll get back to you!
Want to double-check on compatibility? Check out our page on Wireless Network Card Compatibility.
Wireless Network Card Setup
Part I: Before starting
- Double check your system is compatible. See our support article on Wireless Network Card Compatibility & review your new adapters product page for details.
- Max transmission speeds are measured between the device & the wireless access point (your Wi-Fi router). Your transmission speed will vary based on environmental conditions (such as distance). Your actual internet speed will always depend on the maximum available bandwidth provided by your ISP.
- Double check you are not connecting or testing your speeds while connected to a VPN. This greatly reduces performance.
- Download (and save) all required drivers prior to physically installing your network card. Be sure to download both 1) Wi-Fi drivers and 2) Bluetooth drivers. See below links.
Part II: I just received my new Wi-Fi Card. Now what?
- Turn off your system's power, open the back cover, and locate the current wireless module. Refer to your system’s manual for additional details on how to detach the back cover of your system.
- Gently disconnect the old antennas and remove the old network card (you may have a screw to remove as well).
- Note: A small screwdriver from an eye-glass kit is an easy way to gently leverage the antenna connectors free)
- Install your new network card by inserting into the slot. Then reaffix the setscrew; if applicable
- Try inserting the card at a slight angle, then pressing the card flat against the motherboard
- The card should slide into the slot without any resistance. If it does not fit...you unfortunately ordered the wrong Wi-Fi adapter :(
- Gently attach your original antenna connectors to your new network card---be gentle! The connectors generally pop right on!
- Test your new Wi-Fi Card by powering on your system
You can test your internet speed on Speedtest.net or the site of your choosing
- If you system does not automatically install the drivers, you will need to manually install both the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth packages. See Driver Installation Steps provided below
- Reattach your systems back cover, replace all screws, and enjoy your upgraded Wi-Fi!
NOTE: Be sure to follow our Driver Installation Steps (includes links to download). We recommend downloading (but not installing) to your system before swapping your network card. Drivers are not shipped with each order.
Leave a comment